Friday, May 3, 2013

Saturday's Sayings - "What Other Answer Would Suffice?"






Saturday's Sayings 

"What Other Answer Would Suffice?"











~Safehaven For Widowed




“For in grief nothing 'stays put.' One keeps on emerging from a phase, but it always recurs. Round and round. Everything repeats. Am I going in circles, or dare I hope I am on a spiral? 

"But if a spiral, am I going up or down it? 

"How often -- will it be for always? -- how often will the vast emptiness astonish me like a complete novelty and make me say, 'I never realized my loss till this moment?' The same leg is cut off time after time.” 





~~~~~





~Safehaven For Widowed



“I thought I could describe a state; make a map of sorrow. Sorrow, however, turns out to be not a state but a process. 

"It needs not a map but a history...” 





~~~~~





~Safehaven For Widowed



“No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear. I am not afraid, but the sensation is like being afraid. The same fluttering in the stomach, the same restlessness, the yawning. I keep on swallowing. 

"At other times it feels like being mildly drunk, or concussed. There is a sort of invisible blanket between the world and me. I find it hard to take in what anyone says. Or perhaps, hard to want to take it in. It is so uninteresting. Yet I want the others to be about me. I dread the moments when the house is empty. If only they would talk to one another and not to me.” 





~~~~~





~Safehaven For Widowed




“If a mother is mourning not for what she has lost but for what her dead child has lost, it is a comfort to believe that the child has not lost the end for which it was created. And it is a comfort to believe that she herself, in losing her chief or only natural happiness, has not lost a greater thing, that she may still hope to 'glorify God and enjoy Him forever.' A comfort to the God-aimed, eternal spirit within her.  

"But not to her motherhood. The specifically maternal happiness must be written off. Never, in any place or time, will she have her son on her knees, or bathe him, or tell him a story, or plan for his future, or see her grandchild.” 





~~~~~





~Hers to Treasure



“...My idea of God is a not divine idea. It has to be shattered from time to time. He shatters it Himself. He is the great iconoclast. Could we not almost say that this shattering is one of the marks of His presence?..” 



“Reality the iconoclast once more. Heaven will solve our problems, but not, I think, by showing us subtle reconciliations between all our apparently contradictory notions. The notions will all be knocked from under our feet. We shall see that there never was any problem.” 



“If my house has collapsed at one blow, that is because it was a house of cards. The faith which 'took these things into account' was not faith but imagination.” 



“I know now, Lord, why You utter no answer. You are Yourself the answer. Before Your face questions die away.  
"What other answer would suffice?” 











Pictures, thanks to ~Grieving Mother Dani, ~ Safehaven For Widowed and Hers To Treasure 
C.S. Lewis Quotes, thanks to goodreads.com

TwitThis

No comments:

Post a Comment