Saturday, May 11, 2013

Friday's Faith - The Occasional Comforting Visit… This One, Near Mother's Day







Friday's Faith

The Occasional Comforting Visit… 

This One, Near Mother's Day






In the middle of a cantankerous stew with family over inheritance issues, my spirit was too wound up to sleep. In a state of unrest, it is hard to rest. One of the stews involved a very precious gift given to me by my mother, a "Double-Wedding-Ring Quilt" that had been handmade by my grandmother and my mother in the 1930's in preparation for my mother's marriage to my daddy in 1939. 

There has been quite an uproar taking place in my family over this issue recently, and it is so unfortunate. There are three of us daughters, and Mother had three of these double-wedding ring quilts, so there was one for each of us girls, but seemingly now, they have all "disappeared."  The item was given in such love and now seemed to be surrounded by such hate…

I was tossing and turning, and praying to God to help me settle down, when all of a sudden, an inner vision came to me, a vision of the heart, in which my mother who looked to be about the age she was when she married my daddy came to me with her brunette hair, her smooth skin and gentle smile and looked at me with such love. She lovingly reached for the double-wedding-ring quilt that she had wanted to give me, held it in her arms, and then gently pulled it up over me, covering my broken heart with her beloved quilt and with her sweet touch. What a feeling of love came over me amidst her sweet blanketing. My spirit settled down, the unrest disappeared, the love overtook me, and I was able to gently go to sleep as my heart and body were tenderly being covered with her love…

Such comforting visits by my loved ones, usually my father, my mother, my brother, or my child seem to come at critical times in my life, with reminders that Love overcomes all. 

And indeed, it does…



~~~



1 Corinthians 13


1 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.




John 15


 9 “As the Father has loved Me, so have I loved you. Now remain in My love.




I Peter 4:8

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.











Picture, thanks to ~Out of the Ashes

TwitThis

No comments:

Post a Comment