Thursday, November 3, 2011

Friday's Faith - Passively Being Changed? ~by Tommy Prince





Friday's Faith


Passively Being Changed?


~by Tommy Prince



"He said that those who have endured some misfortune will always be set apart but that it is just that misfortune which is their gift and which is their strength."


~Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses




Change happens when you are powerless. Going into surgery, there was not a thing I could do for myself. The optimal thing for me to do was to do nothing. The whole control I had was to relax my anxiety through deep breathing exercises. And then I put my hands and my life into the physician's hands. Being powerless and helpless, and then yielding to the surgeon was the catalyst for change.



Now in recovery, I have much more power. Being in compliance post-surgery however, is still a yielding because I am restricted in how much weight I can lift, in the type of exercise I can do, and in the kind of food I can eat. All these activities must be adhered to for the healing --that I cannot see-- to go on. Again, yielding to the physician's orders is my doing my part to facilitate healing.


The overwhelming sense of helplessness (which is part of the definition of trauma) in our Child-Loss experience is also the thing that is going to save me, and that is my yielding to the healing Spirit of God...









Picture, thanks to Heartlight.org


TwitThis

No comments:

Post a Comment