Sunday, August 14, 2011

Monday's Mourning Ministry - Jesus Had a Little Lamb - Come Thou Fount ~Chad Cates




This picture is on Merry Katherine's head stone at her grave site.

"Jesus and the Lamb," 1982 ~Katherine Brown




Monday's Mourning Ministry


Jesus Had a Little Lamb


Come Thou Fount ~Chad Cates





On Merry Katherine's first year anniversary of her death, I wrote a poem trying to articulate some of what I saw happening in Merry Katherine's life at the time of her death. I put this poem in our local newspaper for her memoriam:




Jesus Had a Little Lamb



Jesus had a little lamb;

Her name was Merry Prince,

And many places Merry would go

Would make her Savior wince.



She followed Him to "the streets" one day

Which was against the rule;

It made the children laugh and play

To see a lamb so "cool."



But Jesus saw her heart that day

And said, "My child, you'll be My tool

To reach My lambs who've gone astray

Into the grasp of the Enemy, cruel."



He took her up to Heaven

To be with Him at last,

But when He ran to embrace her,

She cried, "But Lord, I wandered from Your path!"



He wiped her tears and held her close,


"My child, don't you understand --

I took care of your sins so long ago

In My most sacred plan.



"I loved you so and sent My Son

To die upon that cross

So that you and all My other lambs

Would never more be lost.



"Yes, My child, you wandered from Me,

But since you were Mine, I never did depart;

When you looked to Me to set you free,

I heard the cries of your heart.



"And now your story will be told

To many people young and old,

Of My amazing love and grace

Given for your soul.



"Together you and I work as a team

To fulfill your precious dream

Through other lambs who are still on earth

To lead your friends to their second birth



"So they can join us too some day

Freed from all their sins

And they will find that Life with Me

Brings Joy that never ends."



Jesus had a little lamb

Her fleece was white as snow

And everywhere that Merry went

His love was sure to flow.



And now she lives right by His side,

From Him never more to roam --

Content in His presence to abide

Safe in Her Father's Home.



Now that with God's help, His little lamb has

"fought the good fight, finished the race, and kept the faith,"

She may now be with Him in Heaven to gaze upon His face,

And ever live to praise Him for His amazing Grace.




Merry Katherine Prince

March 29, 1987 August 2, 2006


Safe in Her Savior's Arms

Isaiah 40:11




*****




For Merry Katherine's funeral, her two brothers, then 24 and 21 years old, helped me to choose the songs and pictures we would use for her funeral. Her older brother Rollin chose the very precious and sacred song, "Come to Jesus" by Chris Rice, for her. Her brother Nathan chose the following song so beautiful and apt at describing her love for the Lord and yet her struggle of being "prone to wander" as she explored life extravagantly, even if at times recklessly: "Come Thou Fount" by Chad Cates.


I have been so frustrated up to now because I looked and looked on You Tube and could not find Chad Cates' very anointed version of this wonderful hymn. I expressed my lament to my sons over time as they are so knowledgeable about finding things on the internet.


Upon my visit with my son Rollin, my daughter-in-law Stephanie, and my newborn grandbaby "Ellie" last weekend, Rollin informed me that he had shared my chagrin over not finding the Chad-Cates rendition with Chad Cates, himself! (Rollin, Nathan and Merry Katherine have all known Chad Cates personally because he had led the music for some of their church summer youth camps (held at the beach in Panama City, Florida); the church called these annual church camps "Sonburn").


Chad Cates graciously told Rollin he would put the song on YouTube for me! And so, today I get to share it with you! Here is the very inspired and poignant rendition of "Come Thou Fount" by Chad Cates as it was played at Merry Katherine's funeral on August 6, 2006:








Come Thou Fount


~Chad Cates





Come Thou Fount of every blessing

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace.

Streams of mercy never ceasing,

Call for songs of loudest praise.


Teach me some melodious sonnet

Sung by flaming tongues above

Praise His name; I'm fixed upon it

Name of God's redeeming love.



Hitherto Thy love has blessed me;

Thou hast brought me to this place.

And I know Thy hand will bring me

Safely Home by thy good grace.


Jesus sought me when a stranger

Wandering from the fold of God,

He to rescue me from danger

Bought me with His precious blood.



O to Grace how great a debtor

Daily I'm constrained to be

Let Thy goodness like a fetter

Bind my wand'ring heart to Thee.


Prone to wander Lord I feel it,

Prone to leave the God I love.

Here's my heart, O take and seal it;

Seal it for Thy courts above!


Here's my heart, O take and seal it;

Seal it for Thy courts above!




~written by John Wyeth and Robert Robinson,

~adapted by Chad Cates




*****



The original hymn:


COME THOU FOUNT OF EVERY BLESSING

As written by John Wyeth and Robert Robinson


Come thou Fount of every blessing, tune my heart to sing Thy grace.

Streams of mercy never ceasing, call for songs of loudest praise.

Teach me some melodious sonnet, sung by flaming tongues above.

Praise the mount! I’m fixed upon it, mount of Thy redeeming love.


Here I raise mine Ebenezer, hither by Thy help I’m come.

And I hope by Thy good pleasure, safely to arrive at home.

Jesus sought me when a stranger, wand’ring from the fold of God.

He to rescue me from danger, interposed His precious blood.


O to grace how great a debtor, daily I’m constrained to be!

Let Thy grace, Lord, like a fetter, bind my wand’ring heart to Thee.

Prone to wander, Lord I feel it, prone to leave the God I love.

Here’s my heart, Lord, take and seal it, seal it for Thy courts above.










Painting, by artist Katherine Brown - http://www.christcenteredmall.com/stores/art/brown/jesus_and_the_lamb_black_and_white.htm#options

Poem - Jesus Had a Little Lamb - Angie Bennett Prince, July, 2007

Song, Come Thou Fount by Chad Cates - http://youtu.be/28bjLncPy6U


TwitThis

No comments:

Post a Comment