Friday, November 27, 2009

Friday's Faith - Merry Katherine’s “Talk” with Me Thanksgiving Day!




Friday's Faith


Merry Katherine’s

“Talk” with Me

Thanksgiving Day!


From my journal on Thanksgiving Day:

11/26/09 First time in 30 years (or maybe ever in my life), Tommy and I have spent Thanksgiving alone. Amidst our grief, we needed it and we loved it. And it has been just what we needed—no demands—just rest, relax, and recreate! …And grieve, and cry, and create!


******


Then, as I began my prayer to God, Merry Katherine was there (in my spirit)… responding to my words, and so I responded back… As you may notice, I cry and cry throughout this dialogue with my precious child…

******


I miss her Lord.

I’m right here, Mommy.

As I read Romans 8, I am crying over the tender mercies of God toward you. He did things for you that you could not do for yourself. He did things for you I could not do for you either…

I know Mommy. He’s a good God, and I didn’t deserve any of it.

I know precious. Neither do I. He is a good God. He even loves us “in spite” of ourselves. He is so merciful.

Baby, I felt so helpless with you. I couldn’t stop you from your self-destructive path, and it was killing me.

I know Mommy. I couldn’t stop me either. But God did.

He kept you from running too far, didn’t He baby? (More tears) He did for you what I couldn’t. I am so thankful He is such a big God and wise God and loving God. He helped us to allow you to hit bottom, then He wooed you back to Himself. I can never thank Him enough for that. (More tears)

It’s all good now Mommy.

That’s hard for me to climb into because I can’t see any of it! I get stuck in the tragic ending and in all our efforts that were so ineffective to stop you… (More tears)

But Mommy, God calls you to live by faith—to believe in what you can’t see.

That’s why I need to steep myself in Scripture to remind myself of what IS true even though I can’t see it all yet…

Mommy, tell me what He did for me. Write it down to encourage you and to help others too.

You’re right. I know God gets frustrated when we don’t “see” things by faith, and then we miss out on such a blessing. I am tempted to pull away from Scripture, and just want you back here (still want to have my way)—and then I get stuck there.

Faith is not easy Mommy, but you’ve gotta have it or you’re not gonna make it. You’re staying steeped in the sad.

But it IS sad. Four years ago today, you were sitting in my lap at Aunt Dianne’s for Thanksgiving…

I know Mommy and that was sweet, but can you remember too how miserable I was? I had just gotten kicked out of Lee University!

I do remember that. I guess I’ve got to stay steeped in reality and into God’s will and purposes. I know He’s got things He wants me to do in this world, and I’m still so stuck in all my sadness. –You’ve always been such a realist. Thank you for bringing me back to the realities of God’s truth and of your present peace that is such a stark contrast to your struggles here. I guess on this Thanksgiving Day, I need to stay plugged in to the real and the ultimate reality of all that God has done for you, and IS doing for you, and ever praise and thank Him for that.

‘Atta girl, Mommy! You can do it. I’m pulling for you, and God will give you the strength.

I love you baby and miss you so!

I love you too Mommy, and just remember I’m always right here with you!

(More tears) Thank you baby, for your sweet reminders. Happy Thanksgiving, Baby.

Happy Thanksgiving, Mommy! Tell Daddy ‘Hey,’ and I love him!

I will Baby Girl! (More tears) He’s not doing so well either—he misses you terribly and wants to hug you again! Please pray for him.

Tell Daddy I’m pulling for him, and I pray for him ev-ver-day!


******


(Ev-ver-day was an inside joke she and her Daddy had! When Tommy visited her kindergarten class for lunch one day, he sat by a little boy named Jackson who was a best friend to Merry Katherine. Jackson looked up at her daddy and said, “Did you know Merry Katherine ‘body-slams’ me on the playground?!” Tommy of course said, “No!” And Jackson replied –the now infamous quote we always say— “Yup, ev-ver-day!”

(You must remember, Merry Katherine has two older brothers, so she had to be pretty tough to survive her childhood!)


******


So, at Merry Katherine’s request, I want to share with you the things I found in Romans 8 yesterday that reminded me of all the many things God has done for Merry Katherine, and many of the things He is going to do for her…


From Romans 8:


Ø Therefore, there is now no condemnation for Merry Katherine who is in Christ Jesus because

Ø through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set her free from the law of sin and death.

Ø For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did for Merry Katherine by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering.

Ø And so He condemned sin in sinful man, in order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in her (and in us)

Ø Her mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace.

Ø (Since) Christ is in Merry Katherine, her body is dead because of sin, yet her spirit is alive because of righteousness.

Ø And (since) the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in her, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to her mortal body through His Spirit, who lives in her.

Ø …For Merry Katherine did not receive a spirit that makes her a slave again to fear, but she received the Spirit of daughter-ship.

Ø And by Him she cries, “Abba, Father.” (“Daddy!”) The Spirit Himself testifies with her spirit that she is God’s child.

Ø Now (since) Merry Katherine is His child, then she is His heir—an heir of God and a co-heir of Christ, (since) indeed she shared in His sufferings in order that she may also share in His glory.

Ø …(Her past and my) present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in her and in us…

Ø Merry Katherine will be liberated from creation’s bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God.

Ø She who has the first-fruits of the Spirit groaned inwardly as she waited eagerly for her adoption as daughter, the redemption of her body. For in this hope, she was saved. But hope that’s seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what she already has? But if we hope for what we do not have, we wait for it patiently.

Ø …In the same way, the Spirit helped Merry Katherine in her weakness. She did not know what she should pray, but the Spirit Himself interceded for her with groans that words cannot express.

Ø And He who searched her heart knew the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit interceded for her in accordance with God’s will.

Ø And we know that in ALL THINGS God worked for the good of Merry Katherine who loved Him;

Ø She had been called according to His purpose.

Ø For, Merry Katherine whom God foreknew (knew before the beginning of time, before He created her), He also predestined (chose before the beginning of time itself), to be conformed to the likeness of His Son that He might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters.

Ø And those (like Merry Katherine) He predestined, He also called;

Ø Those (like Merry Katherine) He called, He also justified (made them as just and holy as Jesus Christ their Savior);

Ø Those (like Merry Katherine) He justified, He also glorified (brought them into Eternal Glory to share in Christ’s glory).

Ø What then shall we say in response to this? If God is for Merry Katherine who can be against her?

Ø He who did not spare His own Son, but gave Him up for her and all of us—how will He not also, along with (giving to her and to us) His own Son, graciously give her (and us) all things?

Ø Who will bring any charge against Merry Katherine whom God Himself has chosen? It is God who justifies.

Ø Who is he who condemns? Christ Jesus, who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and also interceded for her (as He does for us).

Ø Who (could) separate Merry Katherine from the love of Christ? (Could) trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? …No!

Ø In all these things she was more than conqueror through Him who loves her.

Ø For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation (was nor) will be able to separate Merry Katherine (or us) from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.


******


And I say to God's words, Amen and Amen. So be it!

Thank You, Lord, for Your wonders to my child and to me and to all Your children! And thank You for a wonderful Thanksgiving Day!


May God bless and keep each one of you close to His heart, for He loves you just as much as He does Merry Katherine, indeed, just as much as He loves His own Son!




TwitThis

2 comments:

AprilP said...

Oh, Aunt Angie!! You had me in tears, too!!! As much as we would have loved having y'all there at Dad's for Thanksgiving, I see how much you and Tommy needed your time alone even more. What a wonderful "talk" with Merry Katherine! That must have been so comforting and encouraging to you. I so admire the way you have dealt with losing Merry Katherine and the hardships that we face in losing a loved one so close to us. I'd like to think she, Mom, Uncle Buddy and Pops and all those who've gone before us had their own "Thanksgiving" in heaven together. I'd like to imagine them sitting around talking like we have always done at our family get-togethers and that sweet fellowship we have together (albeit MUCH sweeter in heaven!), just talking and saying how much they wished we were there with them and how much we wouldn't believe how wonderful it is to be with Jesus!

I love you!

April

Anonymous said...

This is so touching & beautiful. I can't imagine how hurtful it must be to know that your adored daughter is no longer with you to hug & love. I'm sure your insightful & God-directed post encourages those who have lost a precious child.
That is such a sweet reply by April. Sounds like you all have a wonderful & loving family for support.
God's peace be with you!

Pearl

Post a Comment